Samuel Peter Acosta Larsen is one of the two winners of season one of The Glee Project. His character on Glee is called Joe Hart.
Samuel was born in San Francisco to Henrik, and Lupe Larsen, and has an older brother, Manolo Acosta, and sister named Morgan. His mother, Lupe Acosta Larsen, was from Mexico and wrote an autobiographical book called Race for Acceptance, which was published in 2009. His father, Henrik, is from Denmark. He started playing the drums at the age of 3 with his father's praise band. At the age of 12, he started to play the bass, progressed to guitar at 13, and keyboards at age 17. At age 14 his family moved to Murrietta, CA where he went to high school, graduating in 2009 from Murrietta Valley High School. Freshman year he was in the marching band, but by sophomore year he was deeply involved in his rock band, 15 North, for which he was lead singer and guitarist. 15 North had gigs all over San Diego and Riverside counties, including San Diego Summerfest and a television appearance. People in high school thought he was "weird," and Larsen claims a lot of people made fun of him in high school.
After high school, in 2010, Larsen auditioned for American Idol and made it to Hollywood Week before being cut. He later played rhythm guitar in the band of his Hollywood Week roommate, Alex Lambert, called Alex Lambert and the Lights. Larsen can be seen jamming with Alex Lambert in episodes of the web show If I Can Dream. In 2010, he also auditioned for the part of Sam Evans, but lost out to Chord Overstreet in the final audition. Curt Mega (Nick, from the Warblers) was another finalist for this role, and Larsen and Mega are friends.
While doing runway modeling for fashion designer Ashton Michael, Larsen met his roommate and bandmate, Skip Arnold. Arnold invited him to move to his place in Los Angeles, where Larsen would sometimes sing on the streets for enough money to buy food for dinner. After filming The Glee Project, Larsen and Arnold formed the band Bridges I Burn, later adding a third band member, Salvatore Spinelli. Larsen performs as a solo artist, and with his band, writing and performing his own music. When recording he plays drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, and vocals separately, then mixes the tracks.
After winning The Glee Project (with Damian McGinty), Larsen was cast in the role of Joe Hart on Glee. His story arc began on Feb. 14, 2012 in the episode Heart. He appeared in 10 episodes during season 3, and also served as a mentor in the second episode of Season 2 of The Glee Project (Dance-ability).
In March, 2012 he moved in with his girlfriend, actress Scout Taylor-Compton.
Samuel first appeared on the thirteenth episode of Glee, Heart. His character is called Joe Hart, a previously home-schooled Christian starting high school for the first time. On Heart, he sings solos in two songs, Stereo Hearts and Cherish/Cherish. He also sings in the recorded version of Love Shack, but that portion is not in the episode. After his seven episodes were complete, his contract was extended to the remainder of the episodes in season 3, so that he was in 10 total season three episodes. He is currently in New Directions in Season 4 as a junior.
- He returned on Glee in Season 4 as Joseph Hart.
- When he was 3 years old, his dad had to cut his drum sticks in half so that he could hold them to play.
- The first cassette that he ever heard was the Lion King soundtrack when he was 3 years old for Christmas.
- He broke his elbow when he was 4 years old trying to be Elvis and now he's double jointed. The first thing he did when he got home from getting a cast put on with a sling was try to play drums.
- He used to dance on Pier 39 in San Francisco when he was 8-years-old to Michael Jackson music.
- He sold all of his Star Wars toys in a garage sale when he was 8-years-old to buy Michael Jackson's History album.
- His favorite singer/artist ever is Michael Jackson. Some other artists/bands he likes are Lenny Kravitz, Nirvana, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, David Bowie, Maroon 5 (his favorite band), Mike Snow, Fleet Foxes, McFly, Mumford and Sons, King Charles, and Jimi Hendrix.
- He bought some jazz records at the same store that Michael Jackson got records.
- His first rock concert was Van Halen when he was 12-years-old.
- Is usually seen wearing pink on The Glee Project.
- His first electric guitar was also his dad's first electric guitar. He gave it to him for Christmas when he was 13.
- He is in a band called Bridges I Burn along with his friend Skip Arnold.
- Is a devout Christian.
- He auditioned for the hit reality show, "American Idol" in 2010. Samuel made it to Hollywood Week (Top 46) but was cut before the semi-finals. During Hollywood Week, he roomed with and befriended runner-up Alex Lambert. He also became friends with contestant Crysal Bowersox. Source.
- He has 9 piercings.
- He has 8 tattoos. One of them is a Jesus Christ tattoo on the back of his neck, and the one on his chest is a Bible quote reading "I will love thee O Lord My strength" from Psalm 18. Source
- The first tattoo he got was his friend's song lyrics on his back.
- His favourite movie is Dirty Dancing.
- His favorite color is silver.
- He said that favorite book is Scar Tissue. Later he changed his mind and said it is The Bible.
- He started his dreadlocks summer of 2008.
- He is Mexican, Danish, Spanish and half of a percent Persian.
- His favorite Glee character is Will Schuester.
- Is in a relationship with actress Scout Taylor-Compton. He was very shy and Scout told him about her feelings.
- He is lactose intolerant.
- Tweeted that in his spare time he likes to write music, listen to music, watch movies, and cuddle.
- His favourite animals are elephants and lions.
- Someone sent Lindsay flowers while pretending to be him.
- He had a sinus infection when he recorded We're Not Gonna Take It.
- He started his dreadlocks so he could have long hair that looks masculine.
- The weirdest thing he got in the mail was a letter written by someone's friend.
- His favourite kinds of music are soul and funk.
- He is 6 ft tall.
- His favourite food is menudo.
- He is obsessed with leather jackets, pocket watches, bowties, suspenders, bracelets, and buttons.
- He named his guitar Lioness.
- He has a dog named Mya and he got a puppy named Lenny (named after Lenny Kravitz).
- He is the first contender to be a mentor.
- Of everyone in the final four, he is seen crying the most. He cried twice, once in Vulnerability and once in Generosity. What's strange is that Ryan Murphy asked him when he last cried, because he doesn't think he breaks down, and that the show is about breaking down and picking yourself back up.
- He has a role in the 2013 movie 'Claire's Cambodia' as the youngest sister's boyfriend.
- Like his character, Joseph Hart, Samuel likes to be barefoot. He once went 6 months without wearing shoes.
- He said in a chat he did with Season 2 contestant Abraham that the best date he had was in the park with a blanket, snacks, candles, and his guitar.
- He is a huge Star Wars fan.
- He used to give guitar lessons.
- His favorite quote is "I pledge allegiance to the funk of the united funk of funkadelica," as said by Anthony Kiedis. Source.
- He wanted Ali to win Season 2, but has publicly welcomed Blake, the actual winner, into the cast, so there are no hard feelings.
- He was the 3rd person to win 2 Homework Assignments after Matheus and Marissa.
- He was jealous of the season 2 contenders because he felt like it was his show and he had been replaced.
- He is the only contender that didn't make an audition video for The Glee Project and instead used an old video from when he auditioned for Glee.
Solos (In Duets)
Solos (In a group number)
IN The contender was called back.
WIN The contender won the homework assignment.
RISK The contender was at risk of being eliminated.
WON The contender won the competition and won a seven episode arc on Glee.